Sarnia apartment fire sends one to hospital

A Sarnia woman had to be treated for smoke inhalation and an entire apartment building was evacuated after a fire on Euphemia Street.

Sarnia firefighters from three stations were called to the Avondale Apartments just before 5 am and found heavy smoke coming from the fifth floor.

Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the fifth floor apartment but it was damaged extensively.  No other apartments were damaged by fire. The residents were evacuated to a city bus for a time as the department cleared the heavy smoke from the building. The Canadian Red Cross and Victims Services Sarnia-Lambton were also on hand to help.

The woman in the apartment was taken to hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire hasn’t been determined yet.

Advertisements